Saturday, September 18, 2010

Introduction

Howdy everyone! This is probably a good place to put some basic information down. This blog's purpose is to review Jrpg's from the point of view of a player of jrpgs. When mainstream video game reviewers deal with rpgs, they deal with it for the general video game playing crowd. What I'm doing is "preaching to the choir" of already infatuated rpg nuts.
Now, to start off, what is an rpg? It's always a tough question, but here's my basic answer. An rpg is a game where it is possible, at least to a certain point, to increase the abilities of a character without the necessity that the player get better at the game. What this means is that any game where your character(s) can become permanently and inherently more powerful than they previously were is an rpg, so long the player does not necessarily have to improve their skills to make significant use of this power up. An over shield, à la Halo, doesn't qualify, as once the over shield takes enough hits, it disappears. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, however, does count, since heart containers don't go away. A J[apanese style] rpg, is one where the arc of the plot is basically pre-decided, though multiple endings may still exist.
That said, I've got a few minor housekeeping things to say. All games are copyright their respective owners, distinctive images likewise. If you want me to review a specific game, great! Despite the name of this blog, I'll also review W[estern style] rpgs upon request. However, I only own a Playstation 2, a Nintendo 64, and a pc with Windows Xp. If the game does not appear on one of those systems, and/or I don't already own that game or have ready access to a copy that I can borrow, you'll have to send me a legitimate copy of the game in question and the relevant system, if applicable. I'll give ship them back after I'm done with the game of course. I do not support roms or any illegitimate hacks or copies of any games.  Please send any hate mail, love letters, and solicitations to noyesge@yahoo.com. I look forward to ignoring your badly spelled, incoherent and irrelevant tirades. You can also send any polite response to the same e-mail address, but I might read it and respond to you as courteously as I can, so you are forewarned.

No comments:

Post a Comment